On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 4:01 AM, Robert Withers
<robert.w.with...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sure Ben, I could. My apologies if the paradigm of spirituality bothers you
> but it is a perfectly legitimate source of analogy AND interactive fiction,
> having just been exposed to what that is.

I'm quite comfortable with spirituality in the right context.  Its
just a *distraction* from the technical content.  Your posts have
interesting technical questions but the spiritual padding obfuscates
them such that I can't understand what you are asking and makes me
feel unqualified to any answer - so can only ignore such posts. But
actually I don't like doing so, thus I sought to advise you in a
concise way that did not pollute the mail list too much.    I'm sure
others in the community are in the same boat, so really you are
narrowing your opportunity for useful responses from the community.

> In addition I am connecting this to an educational process
> and picture of some unique areas of Pharo.

> I don't seem to have a problem nor am I breaking any "rules" I am aware of
> unless you have dominion, agency and possession to be establishing such a
> rule at
> this time.

Interesting that you take such an adversarial position to a polite
request.  Religion is divisive and any particular doctrine can
alienate community members of some other doctrine, similar maybe to
how you feel about my request.  This divisiveness is best left to
other forums.

There are no written rules and I'm not establishing a new one.  But
any community has an established culture and expectations of content,
which anyone should be able discern from observation of the majority
posts.  It behoves you to pay attention to this of your own accord.
Indeed my comment should not have been necessary - but entropy dilutes
community standards unless they are actively maintained.

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 1:15 PM, Robert Withers
<robert.w.with...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's the thing that gets my goat: I had already acknowledged it was enough
> for the list and was signing off further comment when Ben decided he really
> needed to add his two cents. It is unfortunate he did not spend his change
> in a positive manner but wished to be negative and critical.

It was a hard decision for me to speak out.  Its a fine line balancing
community norms against open discussion and I don't want to be the
arbitrator. But again community standards don't maintain themselves.
Now it is was not that particular thread but rather the spiritual
padding pervading many of your posts.

> I was unwilling to let that go by as an implicit restriction on the
> substance of my posting, into the future. ...and the thread is twice as
> long. Not my doing.  Some things must be challenged.

Online communities cooperate together under many implicit rules, so
they sometimes can be missed.  Rather I was explicitly bringing this
rule to your attention.  I do this publicly to provide the opportunity
for other community members to correct me if I'm wrong.

> Do you know what I mean, then? Just say no to intellectual coercion.

Or say yes to playing well with others.

> If so, I will desist; otherwise I will continue to mine the
> ancient sources of psychology and sociology for application to the best damn
> little programming environment every other language fails to emulate.
>
> Once again, my apologies this upsets you.

Its not upsetting, just tedious to have to twice take my time to
advise to you of community expectations.
But this is only a request, and its not a productive discussion so
will be my last post on the topic.  Take a free right of reply and
I'll follow up in private.

cheers -ben

> Sincerely,
> Robert
>

> On 12/27/2015 11:33 AM, Ben Coman wrote:
>>
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> I'm glad your found someone on the list to connect to on a spiritual
>> level,
>> but could you please keep your public posts to technical matters,
>> (plus keep signatures short and trim old signatures from quoted
>> often hide)
>>
>> cheers -ben
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 2:15 AM, Robert Withers
>> <robert.w.with...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am not quite sure where arupa is (without form), actually. I have
>>> always
>>> thought of it as namarupa (name and form) and never before as arupa. The
>>> VM
>>> is what deals with form/rupa and binds the names/nama of the image
>>> together,
>>> through dynamic lookup, versus static lookup. Alive & dead.
>>>
>>> I've never thought about the arupa of Pharo, yet I was thinking it was
>>> the
>>> meta layers, where everything has the same amorphic form.
>>>
>>> Perhaps the analogy starts to fall apart. My apologies...I'll try for
>>> #random. :)
>>>
>>> nameste,
>>> robert
>>>

>>> --
>>> There are five kinds of coloring (kleshas):
>>> 1) forgetting, or ignorance about the true nature of things (avidya),
>>> 2) I-ness, individuality, or egoism (asmita),
>>> 3) attachment or addiction to mental impressions or objects (raga),
>>> 4) aversion to thought patterns or objects (dvesha), and