On Ned, 2016-01-03 at 09:52 +0000, Dimitris Chloupis wrote:

> I am considering making such a tool, I call it "Tartara" and it was
> always in my mind because my project Ephestos is a collections of
> tools and I wanted package manager that was more sophisticated than
> Catalog Browser.

That would be great!

> Roassal is a well design vector graphics API that specializes in data
> visualisation.

I'm still not sure whether it can help me with my needs.

> The only reason to go C++ is that you want from the first till thelast
> millisecond of your application to have super performance, but if you want to
> go nuclear performance then languages like CUDA and OpenCL that take
> advantage of GPUs superior parallelism

I believe we do not need such stellar performance.

> Also tools like cython that offer very close to python
> syntax can even outperform C/C++ mainly because of the optimizations
> that VM is doing and the ability to Cython to produce optimised C
> code.

I was considering Cython in the past, but wanted something better than
Python...

> Absolutely and I wont lie to you this definetly increase the learning
> curve, but frankly it worths it because you come to realize that the
> traditional way is actually weird and not a very "natural" way of
> thinking.

I agree...moreover simplicity of the language is huge factor since it's
supposed to be hobby project and I want to have some fun while working
on it.

> But that takes time to get used to , however if you are
> interested in such approach I promise you will love pharo.

Maybe, as first step I should try to play with NB-FFI to check how
working of C lib does work with Pharo...then I can work on providing
higher-level API for it and write some Pharo packages on top of it.

> well astrology is not science, astronomy is.

Heh, that's only for uninitiated. ;)

See: http://shyamasundaradasa.com/jyotish/resources/articles/cartoons.ht
ml

--
It is far better to discharge one's prescribed duties, even though
faultily, than another's duties perfectly. Destruction in the course