On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 1:27 AM, Milan Vavra via Pharo-users
<pharo-users@lists.pharo.org> wrote:

> [...]

You wont get the best value from this bringing it up as a new topic in
an interview.  Interviews are a big cost for the employer and usually
by the time you get there, they already think they want you.  The
interviewer already has an agenda basically verifying things they have
already learnt about you.  What you want to do is get it on the agenda
pre-interview, to help you get through the front door to interview
stage.  The *very* best thing you can do is write a blog about your
experiences, then link to it on your resume.  The interviewer *will*
review it and they "get to know you" - which really helps you stand
out in their mind from all the other pieces of paper that float across
their desk.  Take a few articles to write about your journey
discovering Pharo, intermediate experience, what makes it stand out
from other environments and culminate in describing your feelings
about making your first contribution and *why* you've chosen to do so.
You might even get your post linked from Pharo Weekly.

btw, after your contribution is integrated, submit your details to be
added to pharo contributors
http://pharo.org/about

> [...]
> even though their contributions are not comparable". I am not ashamed
> to say: "YES!". However it is not the same as saying that what I can
> (potentially, you have not seen it yet) do is more valuable than what
> others did in making Pharo happen in the first place. I had a minor role
> in the movie. But I deserve a place in the credits. If there were no you
> (all of you who have contributed so far) Pharo would not be what it is
> today. A sexy development environment. If there were no me, someone else
> would have to step up and do what I did. I am fully aware of that. Me
> trying to contribute is a "thank you" of sorts to all of you.
>
> Small contribution with big impact. In a way it is not that small a
> contribution considering the impact it can have on Pharo adoption. In
> Smalltalk "a little code goes a long way". Consider this scenario,
> a true story: I first downloaded my first Pharo back when 3.0 was
> new. On Windows XP. I played with it a little. Got excited (sooooo
> sexy!). But then came the blow. What? I can not type č? Is my keyboard
> broken? Severed cable? No? Oh ok. It just won't let me. There goes my
> contact management application. Bummer. It seems the IDE is not used by
> anyone in the Czech Republic on Windows. Otherwise someone would have
> noticed. Oh. Well. I don't have the skill to debug this yet. I am not
> sure how to report this. Oh well let's wait until someone fixes this. And
> it gave me the impression Pharo 3.0 is immature technology. This could
> be happening in any country that uses č as part of their language
> - Latvia, Lithuania, Serbia, Slovakia (Russia, Bulgaria, Croatia -
> for the russian characters). A year later Pharo 4.0 came out and it
> still was not fixed. Then Pharo 5.0 - same story. I have been learning
> Smalltalk in small steps on Squeak and Pharo trying things from SBE
> and PBE and my contact management example based on an excellent video
> by Laurent Laffont. To cut a long story short only this month I have
> reached the point that I was thinking maybe now I have what it takes to
> fix this. And the excellent videos of the Pharo MOOC definitely played
> a part too. Thanks to everyone involved. Anyway I tried to debug this
> issue and it worked. So what if you were able to wave the magic wand to
> make that bug go away? I have that wand. I'll see if I can jump through
> the hoops of the contribution process although it might take some time.
>
> On a lighter note, I had a bright vision of how I could get some credit
> for being able to fix this. I would find hire some really hot hostess
> or two for an upcoming Pharo conference in Prague. They would have the
> following on their T-shirts. One: 'č, Č, ě, Anyone?' and the other
> 'Ё ,Л, М, Н, О, П, Anyone?' and 'Ask me how' on the back. :-). And
> their job would be to hand out my email address to anyone interested. Or
> even point to me standing in the distance. I bet they would command

I don't really want to be the one to discourage hot hostesses ;) but I
think this would come across a bit false - like buying your way to
fame.  Your money is probably better spent on donating a few pizzas to
the hacking sessions that often accompany these events.  Or offer your
time and effort into help organise the event (plus you end up
interfacing with a lot of people.)  If you a up for public speaking,
be the one introducing the speakers, or get a ten minute presentation
slot just to introduce yourself and give a newcomers perspective, for
other newcomers in the audience to identify with and perhaps be
encouraged to follow the same path.

cheers -ben