> On 20 Sep 2016, at 20:38, Mariano Martinez Peck <marianop...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Holger,

Good Morning,

thank you for your reply.

> | reader |
> reader := OSSAttachableFileStream name:'myStream' attachTo: aFileID writable:
> false.
> reader setNonBlocking "optional"

the only issue is that i have a "int fd" and not a SQFile. In
>>#name:attachToCFile:writable: you create a SQFile* out of a FILE* (OSSCFile)
but judging the comment it doesn't work. The 32/64 bit issue can be solved by
using FFIExternalStructure to model SQFile but the question if the VM was built
with large file support on GNU/Linux is a tricky one.

So maybe we create another primitive to convert a FILE* to a SQFile* (and have
it manage the lifetime of that memory?)? And maybe another primitive to do the
same for a Socket?

> I still didn't understand why do you mean with a). What do you mean by
> "monitor it from being readable" ?

Imagine you want to exit the image in case the file /exit changes. You will
charge inotify to watch this filepath and if the fd becomes readable you
already know the answer, you don't have to read the event. But true if I have a
Socket or FileStream I can do blocking read on it as well.

> I think you could dig a bit in OSSPipe, OSSAttachableFileStream and their
> usage. All classes have class comments, all methods are also documented, and
> there is quite some documentation in [1].

Will look again but I didn't see anything obvious. E.g. primCreatePipe seems to
already return two SQFile* ("fileId")?

cheers
        holger