Hi Tim,

The main benefit of relying on Pillar is that we control its syntax and can
easily extend it for our purposes. Also, there was quite a bit of engineering
invested in it, and even though we still need to improve it, there exists a
pipeline that allows people to quickly publish books.

The figure embedding problem is one example of the need to customize the syntax
and behavior, but this extensibility will become even more important for
supporting the idea of moving the documentation inside the image. For example,
the ability to refer to a class, method or other artifacts will be quite
relevant soon especially that the editor will be able to embed advanced
elements inside the text.

Cheers,
Doru

--