Hi,

While I appreciate the historical perspective, I continue to be with Tim
on this (and I consider myself part of the Pharo Community). I have also
personal preferences for other light markup languages (like txt2tags[1]
and dokuwiki's[2]), but I will stick with Pandoc's Markdown, because is
support everything Stephan or any professional author wants to do and in
fact you can create full books with it, including references, tables,
images, and bibliographic references (which are not supported by Pillar
AFAIK), but also because is an emerging standard beyond the programmers
community, including academicians and researchers with the Scholarly
Markdown[3] initiative and with possibilities to import and export
from/to several markup languages[4].

[1] http://txt2tags.org/
[2] https://www.dokuwiki.org/wiki:syntax
[3] http://scholmd.org/
[4] http://pandoc.org/

I don't share the vision of particular communities choosing particular
markup languages as default, because, if you already payed the price of
learning that particular language/environment, you are willing to pay
the price with whatever that community choose in other fronts like DVCS
or markup languages. Python community supports reST, but also markdown
and several other markup languages and Jupyter notebooks[5] user
Markdown by default. In fact, the Iceberg Git support shows the
increasing concern to bridge the Pharo world with the stuff you already
know and I think that a similar approach should be taken in the
documentation/markup front, even if this implies breaking compatibility
with the canonical Smalltalk way (TM) (I really like that critical
approach from Pharo to the past).

[5] http://jupyter.org/

That being said, I don't think that should be exclusively one way or
another. We can have Pillar and (Pandoc's) Markdown, if the community
doesn't reach and agreement on only one.

I plan to explore the Brick editor once I have time and will try to add
Pandoc's Markdown support. Unfortunately, in the past I have not had
many luck testing and giving feedback on Moose alpha releases of tools
and my questions/comments on them remain largely unanswered or simply
ignored for long time (or just forever), so my priority on testing these
tools have just decreased, but once Brick editor become more well
supported, Pandoc's Markdown support for it will be in my target and
concerns.

Cheers,

Offray

On 14/08/17 12:48, Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> [...]
>> about.
>>
>> Personally, I find having too many similar syntax’s confusing -
>> contributing to things is hard enough - having to remember that its
>> !! Instead of ## and “” instead of ** is just frustrating for me.
>>
>> My vote would be what Peter suggested - use
>> http://spec.commonmark.org/0.28/ and put our Pillar extensions back
>> on top for things that Stef was mentioning. (I think that’s what I’ve
>> understood gfm markdown is).
>>
>> Sure, maybe we were first with Pillar, but for me, lots of
>> programming is in other languages, and I use Smalltalk where I can,
>> and a hybrid of multiple languages and projects is often the reality
>> - so a lowest common denominator of Markdown is just easier. The fact
>> that we are quite close to what our colleagues in other languages use
>> (regardless of what Python has chosen), is quite interesting.
>>
>> That said, if the community wants to stick to its gun’s thats fine -
>> I will probably still investigate how to use Commonmark for myself,
>> and will still contribute to Pillar docs where I can (and curse
>> history) - but I think we are long better off trying to join emerging
>> standards where we can particularly if they aren’t our core language
>> thing. And it just makes it less frictionless for ourselves and
>> newcomers.
>>
>> Of course, if we were to move, we would need to translate a lot of
>> quality docs to a new format - but I would be up for contributing to
>> that if that was a deciding factor.
>>
>> Tim
>>

>>> On 14 Aug 2017, at 16:41, Jimmie Houchin <jlhouc...@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:jlhouc...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> TL;DR
>>>
>>> Main points:
>>> Their is no universally accepted markup language.
>>> Other communities use their own markup and  tools and their markup
>>> and tools choice is not determine by other communities decisions.
>>> We need a language and tool chain that we can control and maintain
>>> which accomplishes our goals.
>>> Our language and tools already exist and have existed for longer
>>> than most of the other markup languages. Of course they existed in
>>> various different forms over the years and have evolved into what
>>> they currently are.
>>> It might be nice to have a GFM Markdown exporter from Pillar for
>>> GitHub projects.
>>>

>>> I just want to comment on the fact that there is no universal markup
>>> language that every development community has settled upon. Making
>>> Markdown or some variant the markup language for Pharo only aligns
>>> us with a certain part of the development community. Even Markdown
>>> is not unified as is evident by the discussion.
>>>
>>> It is true that GitHub uses their variant of Markdown. And as long
>>> as we use GitHub we will need to use their variant for documents
>>> that reside on their system.
>>>
>>> However as a significant counter example to lets all use gfm
>>> Markdown, is the Python community and their documentation.

>>> """