> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 4:35 PM, bdurin <bruno.du...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Hannes,
>>
>> Thanks for your help! I agree that loading in Pharo 4 (I guess) and
>> following your recipe works and is easy.
>> My concern is not specific to ZeroMQ though. In fact I discovered that
>> ZeroMQ package is just a very low-level bindings of Zeromq C API whereas I
>> thought it was something more like the python bindings of 0mq that provides
>> higher-level abstractions that are more useful. Besides the problem of
>> persisting the state of a 0mq application in the image is quite hard to
>> solve (and this was noted by the author of the Zeromq package). So I
>> probably shall go with python this time.
>> Beyond the specific problem of Zeromq package, I think there is something
>> inconsistent in trying to develop Smalltalk/Pharo as a self-contained
>> environment and not being able to load old code. In other languages, text
>> editor or IDE are external tools but they usually open any source code.
>> (That is why the title of my note is "Parser failure on FFI pragmas
>> declaration in Pharo 5" and not "Cannot load ZeroMQ package source code".)
>> I also wanted to point out that for people that are used to programming and
>> as such could rapidly wander in corner areas of the language, I felt a tool
>> / a procedure to manage dependencies and versions was missing.

I am working on and off on an experiment to allow to load (and compile!)
syntactically
wrong code.
(the idea is that it compiles a runtime error what would normally be a static
syntax error,
this is available by turning on the "Allow code with syntax errors” Setting).

This might not solve the FFI problem (need to look at that), but it will make
code easier…

        Marcus