Good and valid questions.

Primarily consumer side. I am a longtime user of Linux, 20+ years. I prefer and advocate for open source software even when required to use Windows/Mac. So in general in personal life with friends, family, acquaintances if the subject is computers or software and the opportunity is reasonable I will advocate for open source software. Many times simply as an opportunity to educate people who may not know or be misinformed.

I am a business man, an employee of a company. My employer is purely a Windows shop. No development is a part of my day job.

All of my use of development software is personal projects. I have not released any software. Nothing has reached a point to release. I am however wanting to release a couple of projects this next year. One I hope to make money off of the use of and not the sale of. The other is personal, not business software. I hope to have both in a releasable state sometime in the next 6 months.

My problem has always been indecision on what I thought would be the best language for the project. I have always loved Pharo/Smalltalk. But sometimes I explore other languages. Sometimes because they already have libraries and bindings that would make the project easier. This is still a very reasonable possibility. I am not a professional. I only program in my spare time. Due to my job, sometimes that is very little.

Regardless, the software I hope to get to a releasable stage I do plan on releasing as MIT. It is the license I prefer and believe in. One need not program or release software in order to be an advocate.

I have no problem with someone writing closed source software. That is their personal or business choice. Myself, I have spent way to much money on software which was closed source and the company disappeared or changed directions. Then I am stuck with software that has no future.

Jimmie