I like that piece a lot, seeing exactly the described situation in large
enterprises.

I made a strategic decision to go with Pharo for the long run for my
solutions because it is a stable base on which to build (ok, there are
evolutions, but fundamentally, I can rely on it being under control and can
maintain solutions in a version).

The rationale is that at a deep level I am really fed up with having to
deal with accidental complexity (now having to deal with
Spark/Scala/sbt/Java/maven stuff) that makes the dev focus 80% technology
drag and 20% net business contribution.

One key thing is that a team needs guidance and Smalltalk makes it easier
due to well known ways of doing things.

Now we miss the boat on mobile and bigdata, but this is solvable.

If we had an open Java bridge (and some people in the community have it for
Pharo but do not open source it - so this is eminently doable) + Pharo as
an embeddable piece (e.g. like Tcl and Lua) and not a big executable we
would have a way to embed Pharo in a lot of places (e.g. in the Hadoop
ecosystem where fast starting VMs and small footprint would make the
cluster capacity x2 or x3 vs uberjars all over the place)  this would be a
real disruption.

Think about being able to call Pharo from JNA
https://github.com/java-native-access/jna the same way we use C with UFFI.

Smalltalk argument for me is that it makes development bearable (even fun
and enjoyable would I say) vs the other stacks. That matters.

Phil