I hear you and I understand your pain.

However, if you corrected the problem, not by a code change, but by playing
in the object's inspector or otherwise causing its internal state to
change, and then resumed from the debugger, would you still claim the
method was successful and should be coloured green?

The only thing we can claim is that there were or were not further errors
in the test. Colour it red if there were, but you cannot honestly colour it
green. The code doesn't actually work.