I see no problem with having *a* code of conduct, but there are some worrying
aspects of *this* code. Clearly there is a need for generality in any code,
but the vagueness of the drafting seems to me to open it up to all sorts of
mischief. Consider the paragraph:" *Project maintainers have the right and
responsibility* to remove, edit, or reject comments, commits, code, wiki
edits, issues, and other contributions that are not aligned to this Code of
Conduct, or* to ban temporarily or permanently any contributor for other
behaviors that they deem inappropriate*, threatening, offensive, or
harmful."The bits I have bolded mean that the maintainers can apply punitive
measures based on what they deem inappropriate. Shouldn't the concept of
"due process" come into this? The FAQ section, under the heading "What
should I do if I have been accused of violating the code of conduct?", makes
no mention of defending ones actions; the only option is to admit guilt and
work with the accusers to reform.The inclusion of the words "they deem"
opens the way to all sort of subjectivity. Just for one instance, Sven
recently thought it inappropriate that John Pfersich mentioned in passing in
this list that, besides programming, his hobbies include shooting, which is
a legal activity in most countries and an Olympic sport. Others disagreed in
the thread, but Sven's message remained "don't do it." If John mentioned it
again, could that be a violation of the code?The fact that this particular
code, evidently the creation of one person, is accepted by others should not
mean it is automatically accepted. There is an obligation to look at it in
detail; when I do, I think there are problems.Peter Kenny
Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote