First, my guess is that it was part of the thing they copied and that aspect
might not have gotten as much thought as you’ve given it.

Second, this is an international organization and maybe the intent (by the
original author(s)) was to extend the reach of the NZ/UK/EU-style laws to apply
to those in jurisdictions with less strict speech codes or where the legal
remedy is impractical. That is, maybe the author(s) don’t feel it is sufficient
to tell someone who is harassed, “We can’t do anything about it. Hire a NZ
lawyer.”

These are speculations on my part and, as a US citizen, I’m partial to our free
speech protections. I’d prefer to have private organizations practice
ostracization rather than have the government put rude people in jail. I say
this, not to start a political discussion, but to point out that some
harassment that would be illegal in NZ might not have a legal remedy if the
actor was a US citizen.

In any case, I found that when I submitted a PR then something happened pretty
quickly. So, I’d suggest that you channel your analysis and concerns into a
proposed improvement.

James