Just… WOW.

I’ve been fighting the urge to add my two cents to the discussion, but didn’t
feel ‘qualified’ - I’ve been just lurking here, both on the mailing list and
this topic. I haven’t contributed to Pharo (yet), but any discussion that
involves freedom of expression (which this is I believe) naturally piques my
interest.

I only read the Code of Conduct version as of today, and while on surface it’s
not that controversial (any longer), if I had any say in the subject, I would
vote against any form or shape of it. Many have expressed their reasons, here
are just some of mine:

The wording can change at any time (as we have seen over last couple of weeks),
without any real accountability of the CoC authors/editors to the community.
That alone should be a red flag. I have a somewhat remotely related example of
that: In 1948, a single added sentence in the Constitution of my country
changed it from a fledgling democracy to a brutal dictatorship that lasted
forty years. ‘Foundational documents’ are extremely difficult to get right -
whatever ‘right’ means.
Almost every CoC I have seen in recent times, in communities online and in the
real world, reminds me this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_Code_of_the_Builder_of_Communism
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_Code_of_the_Builder_of_Communism> . Read
the twelve rules. Shivers run up my spine when I see the similarities between
that and modern Code of Conduct wordings. This was displayed in schools and
other public building when I was growing up. Nobody I knew followed it, but it
could be used arbitrarily to mark people as ‘enemies’ and discriminate against
them - the very antithesis of tolerance and inclusivity.
(I repeat what others said) This is a predominantly technical forum, albeit
with some creative aspects. I borrow a phrase here: ‘Any good idea withstands
scrutiny’. Knowing that should be enough of an incentive to be thoughtful and
respectful. That doesn’t mean you can’t fight for your idea (on the contrary),
and fighting sometimes requires some strong words. Get over it. Life’s not
‘easy’, ’safe’, or ‘fair’.
I don’t see a problem on this list (or even in the wider Pharo/Smalltalk
community) that needs solving or gets solved by a CoC. Why waste our energy on
something that is not a problem?

If everything else got half of attention as this topic, wouldn’t that be
awesome? Ultimately this is about human behviour, and as we know, that’s always
the hardest thing to change/influence in any field. Speaking of which:

How is that security stuff coming along, Pharo community? Two years in the row
my ESUG presentations included screenshots of a Pharo-backed web site, pointing
out how insecure the site is. Details have been blurred to protect the site,
but anyone who does Pharo/Seaside work should be alerted if they paid
attention. I know that the maintainers of the site were in the audience, and I
am amazed that they have not checked their site to see if they have some work
to do to address the vulnerabilities. Note: this is not unique to Pharo. It’s a
simple change in behaviour that should have happened, but it has not.

The point here is: as a community, Pharo (and other Smalltalk groups) has a lot
of work to do. Code of Conduct is an unnecessary and wasteful distraction. In
the meantime, I see no discussions here about how are we going to address the
world-wide crisis of Privacy Erosion, or how to establish ethical coding best
practices. How can we ensure that information collected as a result of our work
remains confidential and secure where needed, and is used ethically for the
betterment of the planet and the human race?

I don't give a rat’s ass about following a community Code of Conduct if it
silences what I or others have to say in public, while our most private,
personal data is harvested left and right by unscrupulous geeks in Silicon
Valley and elsewhere. That’s a problem we should be trying to solve.

There. Stepping down from the soap box.

Happy Autumnal Equinox, everyone!

Jerry Kott
This message has been digitally signed.
PGP Fingerprint:
A9181736DD2F1B6CC7CF9E51AC8514F48C0979A5