From: John Maeder <appywan...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] Early cygnet horn without the spring
To: phono-l@oldcrank.org
Date: Tuesday, November 9, 2010, 6:11 AM

Is it certain that there was never a compression spring fitted over the
threaded post between the crane and capture nut that would have allowed the
weight of the horn to float upon the reproducer and carriage?  It would seem
that a springless support would be a rather obvious design flaw to such a
compulsive over-engineer as Edison.  A loose spring could easily be lost and
thus not evident in surviving examples.  Are there any original parts sheets
for this type of horn support?