I've been following this thread with interest. Nice description here. Brass hardware that you mentioned (2-56 thread might be appropriate for this), and solder are all relatively soft materials and would give that nice balance between getting as close as you can to a factory look, and yet be sturdy enough to know it will safely support the weight.

What's the "rub n buff" that you mentioned?

Andy Baron