Hello Bruce and list,

The amount of phonographs known depends largely on how well we as collectors
are willing to communicate with each other and to the researcher.

The Triumph G is a good example I believe there were about 6 of these known to
exist and then a new one appeared on eBay in the Opera style case with the lid,
bottom and columns missing, it was in poor shape.  A mahogany one with its horn
sold for $8777.00 on eBay years ago, I do not know if this was cataloged or not.

Terry Baer has done research which is available on his website, but again he is
dependent on collector input and what he sees.  I do reproducer research and I
am dependent on eBay and those generous collectors that share photos and serial
numbers.

There are two barriers to sharing, privacy and people not wanting to lowering
the value.  If you found a warehouse with 100 Victor VI in their packing crates
and sold them all at once............

The 2 minute J in the Frow book, I spoke with the man that discovered it and it
was the only one he knew of.  I told him about the one I saw on eBay and since
then a second one appeared so now I know of 3.

I am still trying to find people with model O reproducers with the all brass
nickel plated top, over the past 10 years I only found one with a serial number
around 3500 but I lost the e-mail when my computer died.  These days I get most
of my research from eBay.  So far I have 92 of the iron and brass O's in my
list.  At least 8,000 were made so around 1000 should have survived.  This is
actually the most commonly found O, but since it does not swell it is among the
most desirable ones to have.

In closing the amount known will give you an idea of the rarity, but as my old
cranky friend has pointed out the amount known is a fraction of the ones that
actually do exist.  Perhaps one day we will learn more.

Best regards,

Steve