I've heard many people say that Edison didn't do ANYTHING worthwhile, or simply
took credit for others' work.

 That is interesting because Edison stopped using patents and started using
trade secrets because of all of his work that was stolen.  That is why we have
so little written information on so many things he did especially when it comes
to reproducers and their improvement.   Today when most people have a working
knowledge of electricity it is easy to minimize what Edison did.  Before Edison
there was gas lighting and in some of the older houses you can see the
converted gas to electric system.  Edison did learn from the failures of those
before him but there is no question he invented the parallel method of
electrical distribution which allowed electricity to come into use.  Before
Edison you had the series method and there was not enough copper available to
make the mains large enough to have a practical system for just one large city,
let along the whole country.   Here are a few things Edison did develop: the
parallel circuit, a durable light bulb, an improved dynamo, the u
 nderground conductor network, the devices for maintaining constant voltage,
safety fuses and insulating materials, and light sockets with on-off switches.
Before Edison could make his millions, every one of these elements had to be
invented and then, through careful trial and error, developed into practical,
reproducible components. The first public demonstration of the Thomas Edison's
incandescent lighting system was in December 1879, when the Menlo Park
laboratory complex was electrically lighted. Edison spent the next several
years creating the electric industry. If creating is not inventing then what is?
After all that work he did he got kicked out of the company that without him
would not have existed so even back then he had recognition problems. Steve >