 From: Vinyl Visions <vinyl.visi...@live.com>
To: "phono-l@oldcrank.org" <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 5:05 PM
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] Fwd:  Looking for info or a 2/4 minute attachmet.

Ken,
If you would like to see what a BE conversion looks like, go to our webpage:
http://www.carolinaphonosociety.com/ After clicking on ENTER, you will be on
the page with a woman and Nipper - at the top of the page, click on the link
"Columbia BF 2-4 minute conversion"
I recently did the same thing you are attempting to do with your BE, to my BF
machine. However, I could not find the actual BF conversion kit and adapted a
BE conversion kit to work. The main difference between the two is the length of
the feedscrew. The BE is approx. 8" long and the BF is approx. 10" long - the
adaptation would not have worked in reverse - a BF kit will not work on a BE.
No one seemed to know much about Columbia 2/4 conversions when I was
researching mine earlier this year, so I have learned quite a bit about them.
First, if you find a kit, it has to include a feedscrew with the gearing
attached and an adapter plate with a locking post for the conversion to work.
Make sure all the parts are there before purchasing one, because they are a
needle in a haystack to find. The pics of my machine with the BE adapter on it
are on the above website.
Although, Columbia made the adapter kits to be used with a number of machines,
they apparently did not make many of them because the cost for the adapter was
almost as much as the original machine and Columbia did not make 4 minute
cylinders (other than the Indestructible brand). It was also at the end of the
cylinder age, when most people were starting to opt for disc records.
Curt