#1 unified configuration in php.ini for win *and* unix

#2 From: header settings both message and SMTP

#2 independance of how good the /usr/lib/sendmail binary
      emulation provided by different MTAs (if at all) is

#4 error checking

what happens today if you have an application that does more
then just simple informative messages with PHP is that you
stay away from mail() altogether and talk SMTP using fsockopen()
as the sendmail binary interface is just not up to what you need

so i'd say we can argue if SMTP should be implemented at the
C or PEAR level, but it should definetly be available as a
standard feature for all Platforms

--
Hartmut Holzgraefe  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.six.de  +49-711-99091-77

Besuchen Sie uns auf der Systems in München in Halle B1 Stand 254