I think that XML is a core technology and giving plug&play access to our
users is important. Having bundled the MySQL library made it easier for
people to get started with MySQL. Does that mean I think every library
should be bundled with PHP? No, I don't.
But if libxml2 is a moving target and it's hard to stay in sync then it
certainly sounds beneficial to take away this headache from our users. It
also means that other XML based extensions could use it by default.
Of course it also depends how big it is. If we can strip it down a lot I'd
be a +1. If it'd add 1 MB to our .tar.gz I would be against.

Andi