At 07:55 20/08/2002, Brad LaFountain wrote:
>  You as a Zend owner who's business could be very propitable for Zend2
> success
>or you as a php developer

Brad,

This is CLEARLY as PHP developers.  We happen to have quite a bit of
experience in getting the userbase to convert from one version to another -
with PHP 3 and PHP 4.  Most of the developers today were not involved with
PHP around the time this happened (not all, of course).  I said numerous
times - having two major versions out there is a support nightmare we
managed to avoid by succeeding to move the userbase from one version to
another in a relatively short timeframe.  People here repeatedly said they
long for some 'steering', and steering is 'political', because technically,
everyone is competent.  Of course, if this steering comes from people who
just talk (without mentioning names, only initials, ML) then the developer
community will reject it immediately.  We are, however, talking from at
least a bit of experience.
Also, I'm don't think Zend's business could even benefit from ZE2's
success, other than indirectly by improving PHP's success, which is what
we're all interested in anyway.  It's ok that this is you suspect conflict
of interests, but it just doesn't make any sense.  But that's minor - the
fact we did our best to do the same in the previous versions should give
you an idea about why this is so important.

The main point with this issue was *perception*, not the feature
itself.  Yes, a small feature like this can give people a small push in the
right direction when they consider whether to move or not.  We won't have
any KILLER reasons for non-OO people to move, so it would have to be a
number of smaller ones.

Zeev