Rewriting the function so that it had an optional parameter for line
numbering (or not line numbering) would also reduce the file size of the
patch.  I agree this may be a better approach for highlight_file;
however, .phps files use this same function... there isn't another way
to set it for a phps (unless you create an ini setting).

The other option is just making it work with line numbering regardless.
This won't break any scripts, just make them have line numbers instead.

Devon