>> The other option is just making it work with line numbering
>> regardless. This won't break any scripts, just make them have line
>> numbers instead.
>
> This is not a good idea, many may find line-numbers useless in some
> cases/scripts...
> I agree that it would be an great idea to make it an optional parameter,
> and NOT in the ini file :)
>
> This applies in both highligt_file, show_source and highlight_string

I disagree entirely. In many cases, line-numbers are invalible to
assisting people / even reading source code on multiple pages. If the
attempt of showing the source and syntax highlighting it is to give a
read-only "in editor" feel, how many people work with line numbers
switched off now-a-days (but agreed, this is down to personal preference).

I believe the default should be its current behaviour (for backward
compatability, and to prevent unexpected change)... but I do think there
should be an ini option so that .phps files can have this functionality.

Real world example:

A user comes into one of my help channels and screams "my script aint
working, whats wrong". Instead of getting them flooding the screen with
irrelevant cut's n paste's or leaving myself open to accepting files from
people I dont trust (or even know), .phps files are the quickest, easiest
and most effective way of supporting a person in this sort of scenario. In
#php on irc.dal.net, we see this kind of problem hourly, if not more
regularly than that.

Having line numbers on a .phps file would enable us to support users MUCH
better just by asking them to rename the file from .php to .phps and give
us the URL. We then say "your missing a ; on line 52". Much easier than
trying to navigate them to the "if halfway down the screen".

If you can think of an alternative way to enable / disable the
modifications suggested other than using a php.ini entry...  ;)

</unintentional rant>

Sorry guys, but this sort of functionalty enabled in the .phps would make
my life (and anyone else who works with PHP developers) alot easier - and
benifit many. Personally I cant think of a reason *not* to have the
numbers.

--
Dan Hardiker [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
ADAM Software & Systems Engineer