At 01:40 02.11.2002, Stig S. Bakken wrote:
On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 09:35, Yasuo Ohgaki wrote:
> Colin Viebrock wrote:
> > I really think the best solution (not perfect, but best) is to specify
> > some fonts so the pages look nice, and hard code in the ISO-8859-1 font
>
> "hard code in the ISO-8859-1 font" means assuming ISO 8859-1 and
> use ISO 8859-1 type face by converting chars to entities?
>
> Take a look at this page, for example.
>
> http://czyborra.com/charsets/iso8859.html
>
> Do you see converting text to entity assuming ISO 8859-1
> breaks not only multibyte encoding but also other ISO 8859
> encoding?
>
> I'm well aware of that I'm suggesting to make phpinfo()
> non XHTML, since it is more useful if it is not confirm
> XHTML perfectly.
>
> If use of HTML entities are preferred, only text that
> needs HTML entities should use entities. e.g. Names.
> Isn't using entities for names or like enough?
>
> Please no automatic entity conversion assuming ISO 8859-1.
> Thanks.

A bit late, but I'd like to throw in my .02EUR.

When dealing with multiple languages, the only reasonable charset to
support internally is Unicode, encoded in utf-8.

Now, while MSIE supports utf-8, it doesn't sent the Accept-Encoding
header.  NS4 is AFAIK the only browser that explicitly announces being
able to handle utf-8 in the request, but it's not a big issue to figure
out if the user agent is from a browser that can deal with utf-8.

The "real" solution would be using iconv on the output buffer to change
the utf-8 to whatever charset the browser prefers, or if iconv is not
available, try converting to 8859-1 and replace characters that don't
fit to "?".  IMHO this is the only thing that will work for everyone.
Since mbstring is better integrated in php i HOPE that will be done by
mbstring (and it is not even dependant on another library).

marcus