>> Can't argue with that, however (;)), I find it annoying that
>PHP stops
>> processing if there is a parse error passed to an eval()
>command. I'd
>> like a way to make eval() just return E_PARSE if the script
>passed to
>> it fails.

This is exactly the type of situation where E_PARSE really bothers me as
well.. Although no one likes eval(), and it seems to me it is become
more and more of a security-risk and less and less useful... The last
time I've actually seen it implemented in a useful way (that couldn't be
done in a better way) was in PHPLIB. Then again, maybe I'm not coding
things that would need such a function :)

>>   $code_str(implode("", file("include.inc")));
>>   if (php_valid($code_str)) {
>>     include_once("include.inc");
>>   }
>
>That would be hard, as the zend_compile function which runs the parse
>also adds the functions, so if the code parses it includes it right
>away. Again, for this one we _could_ not abort the script, but in the
>case of include files I'd like to see it die hard again. eval() is
>something different in a logical way, but the implementation
>in the zend
>engine is about the same.

What about require'd files?

Back on the note that I was discussing (the E_PARSE with a user
error-handler), Perhaps the issue can be slightly skirted without having
to code a whole lot... Specifically, what about simply re-directing the
user to another URL in the event of a fatal PHP error (as specified by a
directive)... Ie.

On_fatal_error=http://somewhere.com/error.php

Where on a E_PARSE, or something similar, PHP basically does a C-version
of:

<?php header("Location:  http://somewhere.com/error.php?errno=4";); ?>

This way, users who don't care can still re-direct a browser to a nice
and pretty "sorry, the server is really screwed" HTML page... Or, if
they'd like, they can simply take that error number and create a
error-handler in PHP without us having to bother with the problems
surrounding a bad parser-state...

John