On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Kjartan Mannes wrote:

> Monday, November 18, 2002, 11:23:08 AM, Derick Rethans wrote:
> > That can be done, but I don't like this. You should not have any
> > parse errors in your code anyway, so it just should fail as hard as
> > possible.
>
> Can't argue with that, however (;)), I find it annoying that PHP stops
> processing if there is a parse error passed to an eval() command. I'd
> like a way to make eval() just return E_PARSE if the script passed to it
> fails.

hmm, that might be useful, and would not really be a problem to implemtn
I think, but I'd like to know what the Zend Wizards think of this :)

> Or a more general command to verify PHP code
> php_valid($code_str).  That way the people who expect parse errors in
> their include files can do
>
>   $code_str(implode("", file("include.inc")));
>   if (php_valid($code_str)) {
>     include_once("include.inc");
>   }

That would be hard, as the zend_compile function which runs the parse
also adds the functions, so if the code parses it includes it right
away. Again, for this one we _could_ not abort the script, but in the
case of include files I'd like to see it die hard again. eval() is
something different in a logical way, but the implementation in the zend
engine is about the same.

Derick