In Real Life [Patent Pending], if you cripple your production site
in the middle of the night then go to bed, you won't have to worry
about any of this because you'd be unemployed in the morning.

I agree with Derick's assessment.

I always have the option of turning display errors off (which is the
recommendation for production sites) and cranking stuff out to syslog
or some file I can monitor.

Throwing a 500 document is ugly, and so 90's. :)
Being competitive does not mean 'being like the other guys', a path
PHP has carefully and rightfully avoided.

Regards
Mike Robinson