On November 25, 2002 08:53 pm, Maxim Maletsky wrote:
> Well, in this case you would just add locales like you do with dates, for
> example.

Meaning that you will be applying the locale logic in real time? Have you
considered what kind of performance degradation this will entail?

> > > And you, without speaking Italian, will be just as helpful to him.
> >
> > Wrong, I've read the first 5 words, the lexical parser in my head failed
> > to interpret the message and accordingly I've moved on. Maybe someone
> > will be more patient, but that is unlikely. Eventually someone may indeed
> > look and address the report, but that may take weeks and possibly months
> > for a problem I may or some other person could've addressed right away
> > had it been in English. Bottom line is that people who are not getting
> > payed to do support will apply minimum effort to understand the user,
> > remember most open source developers are volunteers, making their life
> > difficult certainly is not in the user's best interest.
>
> Again, having error codes gives and solves more than adds problems.
[snip]
> I don't agree with you, Ilia. Errors are string, even a part of the
> documentation. They need to be also translated whether it does or does
> not make a developer modifying an XML file. There can be several ways
> accomplishing it.
>
> I am more that just +1 for globalization or run time reporting.

I have nothing against error codes, that is a good idea. I just have a problem
with XML errors and i18n in error messages generated by PHP. When do we draw
the line, how about function prototypes inside the C source code? Should
those be translated as well, it would make developing PHP by example easier,
no?

Ilia