On 08/29/2016 05:06 PM, Paul Jones wrote:
On Aug 28, 2016, at 17:01, Christopher Pitt <cgp...@gmail.com> wrote:

FIG has served its purpose and should be archived.
You mean aside from the ongoing PSR work? The 10 or so PSRs, approved by vote,
to be worked on? Seems a bit premature to say FIG is purposeless and/or
useless...
"Ongoing" is true, but fails to capture the entirety of the situation, perhaps misleadingly so.
Let's take a look at those 10 or so PSRs, roughly from what I will call "arguably least-active" to
"arguably most-active".

- I think we can dispense with "8 Huggable Interface" as "a funny idea at the
time" that should probably be withdrawn without vote.

- Regarding the following PSRs, I do not recall much recent activity on this
list; perhaps they are being actively discussed elsewhere?  Some are new;
others are years old.

     - 5 PHPDoc Standard
     - 9 Security Advisories
     - 10 Security Reporting Process
     - 14 Event Manager
     - 16 Simple Cache

   (Incidentally, each of these seems like a very good candidate for a
*-interop project.)

- The following started as PSR drafts, and have since also become *-interop
projects.

     - 15 HTTP Middlewares
     - 17 HTTP Factories

- There has been a welcome surge of recent activity on "11 Container
Interface". Interestingly enough, it is already a *-interop project.

That leaves "12 Extended Coding Style Guide". In my opinion, that ought to be
delayed until there are more in-the-field examples to draw from. (It might or might not
make a good *-interop project.) However, there does seem to be regular activity on this
list regarding it.

So, to say that there is ongoing work on 10 or so PSRs is true in the sense
that there has been activity in the past, and we may expect activity in the
future.  But it is not true in the sense that there is continuing, recent, and
regular (not even monthly!) activity on them all. I think only 11, 15, and 17
(and perhaps 12) meet that criteria; of those four, three are already *-interop
projects, and I think would thrive even in the absence of the FIG.

Is there a reason you excluded PSR-13, which recently entered Review stage?

--Larry Garfield