On Monday, August 29, 2016 at 10:20:53 AM UTC-5, Korvin Szanto wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 8:06 AM Joe Ferguson <j...@joeferguson.me
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> For another group to be successful I believe FIG would have to close up
>> shop. Disband sounds like the wrong word to me. I do like "Archive" that
>> Woody mentioned previously.
>>
>> A potential new organization road map for what FIG may need to do & what
>> a new organization would need to do:
>>
>> FIG's agenda:
>>
>> * Formal 2 week discussion to discuss the following points:
>>     * Do voting reps want to close up / disband / archive FIG? - If Yes,
>> continue
>>     * Allow transfer of all in progress work to any new organization that
>> is willing to pick it up
>>     * Set end date for FIG (~4-6 weeks after passing vote closes)
>>     * End date allows time for any formal last minute business & lead
>> time for new organization.
>> * Stop opening votes for FIG members to vote on (So that this vote is the
>> last closed vote)
>> * Open 2 week voting period
>>

>> New Org Agenda:
>>
>> * Get your ducks in a row asap
>> * Write your bylaws / Figure out who and how your membership works
>> * Formally declare your intentions to FIG voting members
>> * Start talking to everyone currently working on in progress work and
>> inform them of your intentions
>>

> I just don't see why this is at all necessary, what does this get us other
> than a new name? To me it seems like this is just a semantic runaround for
> what old fig will be once fig 3.0 passes. IMO once FIG 3.0 is around for a
> little bit of time, FIG 2.0 will become just a slide on someones
> presentation and that's all. What does it matter if that slide says "Gone:
> Disbanded then remade into FIG 3.0" vs "Gone: Reformed as FIG 3.0"?

A clean slate. Green fields. Adopt the the work that FIG has completed and
start fresh with fresh and old faces with a new mission statement. FIG 3.0
is a major refactor where the points I've tried to make in this thread are
1: Maybe it's time to call FIG complete and 2: FIG is still active, but the
work it's doing doesn't really seem to fit the "Framework" portion of the
mission. 3: A new organization solves many problems.