Greetings, FIGians.

This has been bounced around in back channels on and off for a while, so I
think it's finally time to make it official.  I propose that we officially
adopt the Code Manifesto[1] as our official standard of behavior.

Specifically, as follows:

https://github.com/php-fig/fig-standards/pull/1143

WHY?

First off, I want to be clear that I am NOT making this recommendation in
response to any current issue.  I am not aware of any current issue that would
require invoking or even discussing invoking the guidelines listed here.  FIG
has been delightfully boring in that regard for quite some time and, "good lord
willin' and the creek don't rise", it will stay that way.

That of course is the best time to discuss such matters, as they can be looked
at from a reasonably objective and dispassionate perspective.  The definition
of expected behavior of current official FIG members is quite vague and wishy
washy (by design), and having clearer up-front expectations is good should the
need ever arise.

WHY THE MANIFESTO?

A number of organizations and projects have of late adopted the "Contributor
Covenant" as their code of conduct.  My concern with the Covenant is that it is
a very negative document; in contrast, the Manifesto provides guidelines of
good behavior rather than an enumeration of bad behavior.  In my experience, a
positive document tends to encourage the desired behavior better than a
negative one.

That it was written originally by a previous FIG Core Committee member is also
bonus points in its favor.

PROCESS

As this would be a bylaw change, there is at least a 2 week discussion period.
After that, depending on what if any discussion happens, I will ask the
secretaries to call a vote on the above PR.  Per the bylaws, that would entail
both a Core Committee vote and a Member Project vote.

--
  Larry Garfield
  la...@garfieldtech.com