On Wed, Jan 23, 2019, at 1:58 PM, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 at 20:42, Matthew Weier O'Phinney
> <mweierophin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 2:49 AM Lukas Kahwe Smith <sm...@pooteeweet.org>
> > wrote:
> >> On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 1:17 AM Larry Garfield <la...@garfieldtech.com>
> >> wrote:
> >>  >
> >>  > Greetings, FIGians.
> >>  >
> >>  > This has been bounced around in back channels on and off for a while,
> >> so I think it's finally time to make it official. I propose that we
> >> officially adopt the Code Manifesto[1] as our official standard of
> >> behavior.
> >>  >
> >>  > Specifically, as follows:
> >>  >
> >>  > https://github.com/php-fig/fig-standards/pull/1143
> >>  >
> >>  > WHY?
> >>  >
> >>  > First off, I want to be clear that I am NOT making this recommendation
> >> would require invoking or even discussing invoking the guidelines listed
> >> here. FIG has been delightfully boring in that regard for quite some time
> >> and, "good lord willin' and the creek don't rise", it will stay that way.
> >>  >
> >>  > That of course is the best time to discuss such matters, as they can be
> >> looked at from a reasonably objective and dispassionate perspective. The
> >> definition of expected behavior of current official FIG members is quite
> >> vague and wishy washy (by design), and having clearer up-front
> >> expectations is good should the need ever arise.
> >>  >
> >>  > WHY THE MANIFESTO?
> >>  >
> >>  > A number of organizations and projects have of late adopted the
> >> "Contributor Covenant" as their code of conduct. My concern with the
> >> Covenant is that it is a very negative document; in contrast, the
> >> Manifesto provides guidelines of good behavior rather than an enumeration
> >> of bad behavior. In my experience, a positive document tends to encourage
> >> the desired behavior better than a negative one.
> >>
> >>  We had a brief discussion on this point via IRC a few days ago. While
> >>  such a document is a very small step forward, I personally think that
> >>  the manifesto lack of naming problematic behavior is its biggest
> >>  weakness, since it does very little to assure people that you are
> >>  willing to name problematic behavior when it occurs, when you cannot
> >>  even do so in the rules you publish.
> >>

> > I tend to agree with Lukas here, and have a bit of background to share.
> >
> > A few years ago, Zend Framework adopted Code Manifesto to govern our
> > projects, for many of the same reasons Larry has stated: we like the
> > emphasis on positive guidelines of acceptable behaviour over an enumeration
> > of punishments for bad behaviour.
> >
> > In practice, it's been problematic, for a number of reasons.

> [...]

Strictly speaking, a CoC doesn't include a process for handling issues; that's
separate from the CoC itself, although I agree it's also important to have.  So
I don't think the Manifesto not having one "baked in" is a problem, as we can
easily add one to it ourselves.

Symfony's model is similar to what I've seen elsewhere, such as Drupal.  (Which
isn't surprising or bad, mind you.)  I agree that FIG is likely not large
enough to have a standing and trained CARE team.  In our case it would probably
fall to the Secretaries to fill that role should an issue arise.  I'm not sure
if they're now sweating at the idea :-), but I don't know where else we'd put
it currently without setting up another body just for that, which at our size
seems like overkill.

So yes, we can and should include more detail around the reporting/handling
process.  On that front:

* While there may be value to a "CARE team as a service", that is very
deliberately NOT what I am proposing here nor do I think FIG is the right place
for such a team to live.  The skillset that such a team would need is very
different from what we look for in project reps, secretaries, or core committee
members.  Let's stick to just FIG-handling-FIG for now and KISS.

* I have always been very uncomfortable with anonymous reporting.  I can
absolutely see the value in it, and the arguments for it are valid.  However, I
am also a firm believer in someone being able to effectively respond to claims
of behaviorism against them, and depending on the circumstance that may be
impossible without knowing what exactly they are supposed to have done wrong;
and providing enough "generic" information to allow someone to respond will
frequently effectively reveal the accuser in the first place, making the
anonymity effectively moot.  I'm genuinely not sure of the best approach here,
but it is more nuanced than it is often given credit for.

--Larry Garfield