On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 1:17 AM Larry Garfield <la...@garfieldtech.com> wrote:

> Greetings, FIGians.
>
> This has been bounced around in back channels on and off for a while, so I
> think it's finally time to make it official.  I propose that we officially
> adopt the Code Manifesto[1] as our official standard of behavior.
>
> Specifically, as follows:
>
> https://github.com/php-fig/fig-standards/pull/1143
>
> WHY?
>
> First off, I want to be clear that I am NOT making this recommendation in
> response to any current issue.  I am not aware of any current issue that
> would require invoking or even discussing invoking the guidelines listed
> here.  FIG has been delightfully boring in that regard for quite some time
> and, "good lord willin' and the creek don't rise", it will stay that way.
>
> That of course is the best time to discuss such matters, as they can be
> looked at from a reasonably objective and dispassionate perspective.  The
> definition of expected behavior of current official FIG members is quite
> vague and wishy washy (by design), and having clearer up-front expectations
> is good should the need ever arise.
>
> WHY THE MANIFESTO?
>
> A number of organizations and projects have of late adopted the "Contributor
> Covenant" as their code of conduct.  My concern with the Covenant is that it
> is a very negative document; in contrast, the Manifesto provides guidelines
> of good behavior rather than an enumeration of bad behavior.  In my
> experience, a positive document tends to encourage the desired behavior
> better than a negative one.

We had a brief discussion on this point via IRC a few days ago. While
such a document is a very small step forward, I personally think that
the manifesto lack of naming problematic behavior is its biggest
weakness, since it does very little to assure people that you are
willing to name problematic behavior when it occurs, when you cannot
even do so in the rules you publish.

regards,
Lukas