Wasn't directed quite at me, but I'll chime in nonetheless....

We used LocalDirector for awhile, with it's 'sticky bit' functionality,
and it basically didn't work with AOL.  I just looked at the
coyote product and they claim it works with 'large ISP' proxies - maybe a veiled
reference to AOL directly (why not just say AOL?).

Do you have any more info on HOW they do this?  The
only thing I can think of is that they code it recognize particular IP blocks
known to be proxies for AOL/mindspring/etc and route ALL traffic from these to a
particular box, which doesn't seem terribly balanced.  OR... they drop a separate
'cookie' or similar header data piece between the server and the client and track
that.

Either way, it seems a bit expensive, although cheaper than LD, last time I
checked.

Personally, we do the 'stateless' model with session data in a database - works
fine.  Your coyote solution is still stateless, but the session data is kept local
to the webserver.

Problem I see with that is that if you need to take a particular machine offline,
hundreds of people could lose their session data.  Same can be said of taking the
database offline, but taking a db offline will probably affect the whole site
anyway.  Part of the benefit of an intelligent load balancer is that you can
remove/take down machines for maintenance/upgrades without worrying about the
impact on the visitors.

Am I missing something?