At 2003-08-16 23:28 +0200, Peda wrote:
>I have some problem on my site.
>
>When I'm using this PHP script:
>
><?php
>    session_start();
>    session_register( "aUser", "aAccount" );
>    $aUser      = "Cidnie";
>    $aAccount   = "1016";
>?>
><?php print( "Current User: $aUser
>" ); print( "Current Account: $aAccount
>" ); ?>
>
><listing2.htm>Go to page 2
>I'm getting this warning messages:
>
>Warning: session_start(): open(/tmp/sess_cbd07ca5b53347ca5003404053754bde,
>O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in
>/home2/pena/public_html/listing1.php on line 2
>
>Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent
>by (output started at /home2/pena/public_html/listing1.php:2) in
>/home2/pena/public_html/listing1.php on line 2
>
>It looks like I don't have permission to write in /tmp/ directory.
>Can I change that permission?

Normally you can only change this when you're the
system manager ('root'), but I'm looking now on
the system that hosts one of my sites and there
I seem to own the /tmp directory that I and my
applications see. It's a kind of virtual private
Unix server.

When you have a shell login, try this:
- cd /tmp
- chown . <your_user_name>

This probably gives an error warning.

- chmod u+rw .

This probably also gives an error warning.

There are also permission commands under FTP I think.

Otherwise contact your system manager.

There are a lot of applications like 'vi' that
don't work or don't work properly without
read and write access to the /tmp directory.

By the way, your second problem about not being
able to send the cookies can be solved by putting
ob_start(); as the first command in your PHP-file.
Make sure you really insert this as the first command.
You can't even output an empty line first for example
in the HTML part (so outside of the <?php and ?>),
also not in an include file.

You can read much more about this in the manual
under output buffering and the header() function
etc.

Greetings,
Jaap