"Tom Rogers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hi,
>
> Thursday, October 9, 2003, 1:37:57 AM, you wrote:
> RR> On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 23:22:02 -0700
> RR> Raquel Rice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Well, yes ... in a way.  The plan is to have a main site, where
> >> users can have a subsite off the main site.  I want to give the
> >> users the ability to customize, to an extent, their own subsite if
> >> they wish, while the main site retains the look I give it.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Raquel
> >>

> RR> I might just add that I can accomplish this very easily using inline
> RR> "style" elements within HTML tags but, I'm wanting to separate out
> RR> the CSS.
>
> RR> --
> RR> Raquel
> RR> ============================================================
> RR> To behave with dignity is nothing less than to allow others freely
> RR> to be themselves.
> RR>   --Sol Chaneles
>
> You don't need to call your style sheets .css they can be just as easily
called
> .php and even have a querystring attached like subsite.php?user=fred
>
> That way just use php as normal and return a style sheet just as you would
> html page.
> example

> <head>
>   <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="styles/subsite.php?user=fred">
> </head>
> .
> .
> .
>

> subsite would have something like
>
> <?
> $user = (isset($_GET['user']))? $_GET['user']: 'none';
> $default_color = 'blue';
> switch($user){
>   case 'fred':
>     echo 'H1 {font-size: 18px; color: red;}';
>     break;
>   case 'none':
>     echo 'H1 {font-size: 18px; color: '.$default_color.';}';
>   break;
> }
>

> regards,
> Tom

they way i understand it she'll want

the subsite to
<?
 $user = (isset($_GET['user']))? $_GET['user']: 'none';
 $default_css = 'default.css';
 $user_css='user.css';
?>

css files cascade so all you'll have to do is

<head>
   <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="styles/default.css">
   <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="styles/" <? echo $user ?>
".css">
</head>
and the users css file will only change what you allow in the user.css file.