Our recommendation is, to setup your server environment with Apache first, make sure every thing works, then run LiteSpeed in parallel on different port, sharing the document root, then stop Apache and switch LiteSpeed to port 80. If anything goes wrong, switch back to Apache. The migration could be easier after we finish the Apache conversion tool. :-)

I suppose you're waiting for it before switching yourself?

Not at all. It is pretty easy to convert from Apache to LiteSpeed manually, depends on what features being used, it could be as easy as changing the document root.
What the conversion tool does is that it analyzes Apache's configuration file and set our XML configuration file accordingly, it takes care of details as much as it can. It is handy if you have a lot virtual servers and/or complicate rules for access control. We try to make server administration as easy as possible.
There is an Apache migration guide in our documentation already.

What we are waiting for are extra security features: "chroot"(almost done) and "auto-ban". They are not available on Apache either we believe.

Best regards,
LiteSpeed Team