Can you just send a command line java app commands from php?

        -- jon

Tom Playford wrote:
Dear all knowing list,

I am trying to control the movement of a camera in real time from the web. But I also
need to make sure that only the user I specify can have control.

What I though I could do was this: launch a java applet from a php page parsing the
session id. Then when the user adjusts the controls on the applet, a php page is
loaded by the applet, sets the user session with the session id, then sends the
control details back to the server and on to the camera.

I've given this a go with no luck. When I try to set the session id on the php script
that the Java applet loads I get a permissions error (the perms on /tmp are fine). I'm
not 100% sure I understand sessions, is my method utterly implausible? Does anyone
have any better suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom Playford