Miles Thompson wrote:

Most likely this is a consequence of Windows XP SP2, one of its side effects is blocking of popups in IE.
Strange, like smokers becoming non-smokers.

No SP2 stuff added - and unlikely to be added This problem is affecting a couple of W2k machines as well

Check Sunbelt Software for some workarounds, they identified the problem about 12 da ago.

I'll grasp any straw ...
Can't see anything that is related though.
Current thinking is corrupt copy of IE that has been used to load the machines, as they do not have a public internet connection, the install and updates are from a local copy. So I have permission to wipe a problem machine and rebuild from scratch to see what happens.
I could do without this waste of time ;(

--
Lester Caine