Did you read the Manual?

>From PHP Manual
=========
socket_set_blocking

Description
int socket_set_blocking (int socket descriptor, int mode)

If mode is false, the given socket descriptor will be switched to non-blocking
mode, and if true, it will be switched to blocking mode. This affects calls like
fgets() that read from the socket. In non-blocking mode an fgets() call will
always return right away while in blocking mode it will wait for data to become
available on the socket.
This function was previously called as set_socket_blocking() but this usage is
deprecated.
=========

There is note that says it does not work with PHP4/Win32. I may need to check
BugDB to find out status of this problem.

I compile with --enable-sockets, so I don't know if it available without it.

Regards,
--
Yasuo Ohgaki