I've been using them for months without any major problems. (There was a
slight bug in socket_select() that caused some undesireable behaviour, as
it wouldn't allow for indefinite blocking, but I submitted some patches and
it was eventually fixed.)

I have a search engine running that was built using these functions and it
works fine, either on a TCP socket or locally on a UNIX domain socket. I
don't know how well it works on Windows (I doubt the UNIX sockets would
work, 'cause Windows uses named pipes or something like that rather than
true UDS) but the TCP stuff probably works.