Steve Brown wrote:
<snip lots of garbage>

OK, I'm going to jump in and try and take a stab at this.

Sam, if you wouldn't mind answering a question: are you still unable
to connect to your mysql server?

I'll also add that your understanding of firwalls is lacking. Regardless of where your server is (local or remote), there is still a
client-server relationship happening. If you are trying to connect to
localhost/127.0.0.1 (use the latter as previously recommended), your
system is acting as the server. ANY consumer firewall (free or
otherwise) is going to block incoming packets not related to an
already established connection, regardless of where they originate.

Lots of consumer firewalls are going filter traffic on localhost
because lots of vicious spyware out there are starting to install
"daemons" on systems then rewiriting the HOSTS files to pull ads from
the localhost rather then hitting the marketers servers.  If you don't
believe me, google for "spyware HOSTS file".  To assume that your
firewall (ZoneAlarm, XP, or otherwise) is not in play here is false.
<snip>

This is why I originally said that the firewall shouldn't matter...coming from the *nix world, it doesn't. Even if I close off port 3306 with iptables/ipchains, it's still going to allow local connections, since the request is coming from, and going too localhost. I guess with Windows, you need to close internal and external connections to be save. ;)

--
John C. Nichel
ÜberGeek