Hey, the reason it doesnt come in to play for you in linux, is becuase
mysql by default will connect through a unix socket, and not over
tcpip.  The unix socket is a connection thru the filesystem and not the
network.  Also, in linux, there is a virtual device for lopback, and the
firewall i dont beleive has any effect on the loopback device.  In
windows however, depending on what version, mysql will connect using
tcp/ip, unless told otherwise, in this case, Sam supplied localhost to
his connect function, which tells mysql explicitly to use the network
over a named pipe.

Jason