On Sunday 19 September 2004 05:37, Andre Dubuc wrote:

> After googling 'Web Etiquette, Top Posting', I still am puzzled why some
> people on this list insist that top posting is bad form, rather than
> personal preference. The arguments seem to be balanced on either side.

- Top posting means one cannot reply point by point like I'm doing here.

- Top posting (usually) leaves a whole load of crap at the bottom of the post
which the person doing the top posting is (invariably) too lazy to trim. Bad
for everyone on the list and an ongoing waste of bandwidth and space on the
archives.

- Top posting means if you've jumped into the middle of a thread you would
have to scroll backwards and forwards to figure out what was going on.

> Checking the list's archives, I noticed that those who object to top
> posting almost invariably top-post their objection (perhaps for added
> emphasis, who knows).

When I do it it's for the emphasis.

> Further, after searching the list's archives on the subject, I noted that
> the archives are organized by latest response => oldest (the original
> message); that is, the archives, in effect 'top-post' all threads: latest
> first (on top of the list) and the oldest (at the bottom of the list).

It seems you're confused. The way the posts are sorted has no bearing on
contents of the individual posts. Most archives allow you to sort the list of
posts in various ways.

> Seems to me much easier to scan the Subject, see how it's developing by
> reading the reply on the top, rather than have to wade through even snipped
> old material.

And if you jumped into the middle of the thread, how would you know what was
going on without scrolling down to find out?

Wouldn't you agree that it's easier to read something point by point whereby
you can easily see the context, instead of reading a sentence at the top of
the post then scrolling down to find out what that sentence was about in the
context of the original post?

> I've been on this list, on-and-off, for a few years, and somehow I must
> have missed the discussion on the unwritten rule of bottom-posting. Perhaps
> someone could enlighten me with a url?

I don't have a URL but I'm sure if you search the archives thoroughly you will
find several intensive discussions on this subject.