On Sunday 19 September 2004 06:46, Robert Cummings wrote:

> I think the argument was top posting versus bottom posting. Not top
> posting versus interlacing. If you have no need to reply point to point
> then there is no reason I can see why top posting is unsuitable.

I think you're splitting hair here. I've never seen a post where someone
responds point by point but places their response above the point they're
responding to.

Furthermore just because you have no need to reply point by point for that
particular post, someone using your post as a basis for reply might want to.
Now they would have to clear out stale signatures and whatever crap then
rearrange the message so it makes sense. Again, a mailing list is not a one
to one medium. Following some well established guidelines makes everyone's
lives easier. When in your own private drive no one cares which side of the
road you drive on, but it's usually safer and more convenient for everyone if
you drove on the correct side of the road when on public roads and highways.

> Plenty of people bottom post without trimming.

See archives.

> Well i would do exactly that... scroll down... is that so hard?

You're missing the point. Completely.

> Yes, but once again this isn't bottom posting, point by point is
> interlacing which is completely different.

See above.

> I'll say no more on this thread, I just like to ensure the
> pro-top-posters get heard along with the pro-bottom-posters. I strongly
> believe all of this IS indeed personal preference. I've even seen a
> message where you (Jason) have top posted and it wasn't about top
> posting :)

The only times when I consciously top post (on a fairly) consistent basis is
when pointing out someone has hijacked a thread. Otherwise if you had a link
handy I would love see where/when I made such a stupid mistake.