At 4:54 PM +0200 9/11/09, Andrea Giammarchi wrote:
How do you debug Ajax calls? I am starting to think you do not do it, or your applications are extremely simple... do you transform only at the end the result? How do you debug the transformation if something go wrong? How do you test via client if something goes wrong? You simply do not care, ok, fine, Formaldehyde is not for you, not today at least.

Maybe I don't get it, but why should I debug ajax calls?

In my example, namely --

http://webbytedd.com/a/ajax-site/

-- the ajax routine simply receives strings from a user's action (i.e., user clicks a specific link) and then the ajax routine provides those exact same strings to one of my php scripts. The only things that may go wrong are in the data I am sending to the ajax routine AND/OR the way my php scripts deal with the data when they receive it. In either case, ajax is not at fault. It is no more at fault than a simple GET statement.

Now one can say, "Let's create a debugger that examines the innards of a GET statement so we can test it if something goes wrong." But I ask why?

It's not that I don't care, it's more that I don't need to complicate a very simple process.

Examine this:

http://webbytedd.com/a/ajax-site/js/a.js

Now, where can something go wrong?

The script simply receives data and sends it on to a php script. Despite all the hype, that's all that ajax does. As I am doing here, it's simply just another way to handle GET's. Why make it more complicated than need be?

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------