At 11:22 PM +0200 5/18/11, Peter Lind wrote:
On 18 May 2011 23:12, tedd <t...@sperling.com> wrote:

 > Thanks, but the point here *is* to get people involved using PHP.

Good and noble intent. Does not in any way have anything to do with copypasting.

That's more of an argument than a fact -- and I don't feel comfortable calling it copypasting. I'll stick with calling the practice "Copy/Paste" as defined by Apple. Sure, people can argue that M$ invented the practice, as they did everything else, but I remember M$ claiming that the mouse wouldn't make it, and that was before Copy/Paste. :-)

Back to point, I just spent 16 week teaching 16 college students via "Introduction in PHP" by giving them code to copy/paste.

As a result, I saw most take-off and learn more than I taught. Sure, there were some who just didn't get it, but I think they would not have "gotten-it" even if I had forced them to hard-code everything. Some people are not geared for programming.

-------

*IF* the users follow directions - a lot of them won't. Some of them
will copypaste it into different environments than you have envisaged.
Then someone will probably also find a bug in it at some point.

If they do find a bug, then I'll deal with it. But putting this link up for review by peers, as I've done here, is one way to help catch those bugs.

------

 > Granted, for over a dozen years I've provided various "code" to users and
 have more than my share of stories to tell of how they don't follow
 directions -- just take a look at my "Web Tips" pages. However, I would have
 greatly appreciated someone showing me what an include was back in 1998. It
 could have saved me a lot of trouble.

You make my point for me but for some reason don't want to follow the
logical conclusion of it. Why?

I stated my reason, Perhaps I'm wrong, but that remains to be seen. However, it is not fact that your position is a logical conclusion -- it's just your conclusion.

----

 > This is just one way to give-back.

Suggesting people that they copypaste your code is a very bad way of
giving back. Suggesting that they read and understand the code is a
great way. I hope you see the difference.

I see the difference, but I don't agree with you. I say that if you give people a small sample of something that interest them and it works, it is far better than forcing them into "Adventures in Keypunching" to see any results, which was the way I was introduced into programming. That was NOT good.

Ours is just a difference of opinion.

Thanks for your help and opinion.

Cheers,

tedd