Michael,

I've got a program set up like you describe.

the problem is I've noticed that my variables are NOT stable

this is it in a nutshell

1) show 3 options with radio buttons for each

2) based on above  query a database and show a list of the records
(now it just dawned on my that I've been doing this with URL's and that might be the
problem)

3) show all of the fields in the record to edit as necessary.

4) update the table

1,2,3 work fine.  I save the id number of the record.  however, it isn't persistent.
IOW,
suddenly the variable is set to null.

am I just not understanding how php scripts work?

or is my usage of URL's in appropriate.  I'm new to the world of php.

thanks

chris