On Thursday, January 24, 2002, at 09:32  PM, Michael Kimsal wrote:

> Being able to positively improve an employer's bottom line is always a
> plus you can bring to any 'job' - you're there to do work and make them
> money too.  If you can help by furthering the use of Linux/PHP/etc due
> to the licensing cost issues, so much the better.

This is a good point.  I'm using the LAMP scheme right now for my
employer (though I haven't yet explained the advantages).  I'm hoping
that, when I'm done, I can provide a report explaining how much was
saved by going with open source solutions -- right now the only two
purchases made specifically for my project were

1) Mac OS X 10.1
2) Extra memory for the Linux server

(and I'd like them to buy me the full version of BBedit so I don't have
to use the "lite" -- $89 upgrade)

Is there a resource that helps me weigh the cost-effectiveness of the
choices I made?  (Note that the savings aren't as great as you might
think -- we already have Oracle and a hosting service that provides ASP,
but I wonder what the licenses would have cost us.)

Erik