Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Could not get the output
(success or failure) assigned to a variable in front of the system call but
got it to assign a 0 (success) or 1 (failure) to the return_var argument as
you suggested so I am happy.

<?php

system("mysql -u myuserid -pmypassword mydbname < /path/to/mydumpfile.txt",
$status);

if($status == 1){
echo 'Failed';
} else {
echo 'Success';
}

?>

What mixed me up and I still don't understand is the manual entry for
system() says ...

"Returns the last line of the command output on success, and FALSE on
failure."

When it says it "Returns", where does it return this information and how can
it be captured for comparison? The return_var appears to only return a 0 or
a 1. I thought I could capture it by assigning the system call to a variable
in front but that appears to capture nothing on success or failure.